Thursday, December 20, 2007

YEAH!!!!!!

Hello ALL; My name is Stephanie Olamendi, I am a second year major/minor bio sci and spanish. This is my first time doing alternative winter break. So far it has been an amazing learning experience. Last night we volunteered at an organization called YEAH (Youth Emergency Assistance Hostel), this is a non profit organization that provides food and shelter for youth. Unfortunately we did not get to meet the youth, instead we decorated the common room for the holidays. Sharon, one of the founders, gave us a visual and audio experience by showing us pictures and sharing direct quotes from the youth. For me, the quotes were very meaningful. One quote really caught my attention..."The only difference between you and me (speaking of a homeless youth and one of us) is that you have a home and I don't". This really hit home it is very true. We are so fortunate that we are quick to stereotype the youth. We assume they are druggies and dangerous. Yes, most homeless youth abuse drugs but only to ease the pain and forget about reality. Most are not dangerous but only want to get by and be helped. This experience was a huge eye opener for me. It really inspired me to work hard and give back to all these people. I hope one day people can unite and participate in community service to help make a difference. I really encourage everyone to participate in alternative break and make their own difference in the world!!!!!!

No comments: