Monday, December 17, 2007

The Night Before...

Hello! My name is Connie Ho and I'm a volunteer on the UCI Alternative Winter Break in San Francisco. I have always have had a soft spot for this city, but was never able to experience the poverty that's a part of it. Yesterday was the first day we embarked on this great journey. We arrived at the flags at 8:30am in the morning; it was the beginning of winter break and most people were probably still in their bed. Having loaded all the belongings, we took off on the 8 hour road trip. Though most people would probably squirm in their seats, it was a great experience - the time seriously went by so fast. I enjoyed meeting the people in my minivan - we played some cheesy car games, slept, snored, more sleeping... that was just my car though (the other minivan claimed they had thought-provoking discussions... of course). Midway, we stopped at a rest stop to eat our homemade lunches. It was nice to see the variety of lunches people prepared, from Macaroni Grill to a kudos bar, and it reinforced the fact that we were all different but working towards the same goal TOGETHER.

At around 6pm, we arrived in the city. It was amazing seeing the city for the first time - the bridges, the night lights, the hustle and bustle on the streets. Then, we went into the Tenderloin and it was almost completely different from the San Francisco we know or, at least, were accustomed to. Seeing the people and the living situations surrounding the Tenderloin, we didn't know what exactly to expect during this vacation. Though, the hostel turned out to be more pleasant than we had originally thought. Stepping into the lobby, the hostel had a cozy and warm feeling. Likewise, looking at the room arrangement, the hostel created an intimate sense of unity because there were four to a room and we were able to bond with our roommates; there were no boundaries preventing us from talking together.

The first night we were able to reflect a little on the trip so far and our expectations of the next day. It was clear that everyone was a little hesitant about the surroundings; there was a mix of feelings regarding the Tenderloin area. Personally, I had already seen something in this environment that I would not have normally seen at home in Irvine. Walking back to the hostel, I noticed a number of cars and police officers surrounding an office building. Apart from the siren ringing nonstop, a host of men were surrounded by police officers. Piecing the different factors together, I came up with the impression that these men were being arrested for the robbery. And, what was surprising to me was that I was walking through the midst of all. It was surely something I didn't expect to see my first night in SF.

3 comments:

anna gonzalez said...

Thank you for sharing Connie! I am so glad that you are growing from this experience -
hugs
anna g.

Unknown said...

sounds like you guys are off to a great start. I look forward to hearing more

- Chetan

RestlessAntics said...

this is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!